The sweet taste of chocolate syrup has been a product denied to our family for the past few years due to all of the unnecessary ingredients that are used to produce it. We were able to locate an organic chocolate syrup once, then the store closed down before we could buy another container of it. Finally, we have found a recipe that matches the flavor of those chemical laden products but contains only 5 ingredients! Enjoy!
- 3/4 cup organic cocoa powder
- 1 1/4 cups water
- 1 1/2 cups cane sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons organic vanilla extract
- Dash of sea salt
1. Use a big saucepan – at least 2 quarts. This will expand when boiling, and overflows will make a big mess on your stovetop! (I use this 3-quart saucepan that was part of a bigger set I received as a gift. It’s my favorite!)
2. Combine the cocoa powder, water, sugar and salt in a saucepan over medium heat. Mix with a whisk until smooth.
3. Stir constantly with a whisk or a wooden spoon until it boils.
4. Allow it to boil for 1-2 minutes.
5. Remove from heat.
6. Add vanilla.
Syrup will be very thin/watery. Allow to cool completely and it will thicken to about the same consistency as store bought syrup without the chemicals & GMOs.